Green deal applicants urged to contact their landlord

February 11, 2013 by  
Filed under Solar Energy Tips

Published 11 Feb 2013 09:30


Jump to first paragraph.

Share this
Google Buzz



DRONGAN landlords Irvine Housing Association is urging tenants who wish to sign up to the government’s Green Deal to contact the Association for permission to have energy saving works carried out.

The scheme, which allows people to pay for energy saving improvements over time through their electricity bill, was launched earlier this month.

The Green Deal loans can be used for improvements such as loft insulation, solar panels, draft proofing and solid wall insulation. The loans are repaid over a period of 10-25 years through additions to electricity bills, and are supposed to be outweighed by the by savings from low energy use.

Lorna Walker, Affordable Warmth Officer at IHA said, “People should be wary of door step providers or cold callers who may try to sell the benefits of signing up to improvements with their particular company. Tenants should not pay for a Green Deal assessment and must contact The Association first.”

If you are worried about rising fuel costs and heating your home the Association’s affordable warmth service can help tenants save money thanks to free home energy checks, energy efficiency advice, and hints and tips on how to cut down fuel bills.

IHA tenants should call its customer services team to access the Affordable Warmth Service or if they are thinking of taking up the Green Deal scheme. Before any alteration work can commence, tenants are required to obtain written permission from the Association, as stated in their tenancy agreement.

To contact the customer services team please call 0845 112 6600 from BT landlines. It may be cheaper to call 0345 112 600 from mobiles and other networks.

Return to the main index, get more from this section or browse our News archives.

Comments are closed.